New Milltown GP to Start on September 1st Statement by Brendan Griffin TD (FG) Kerry Friday, July 17th, 2020 Kerry Fine Gael TD and Deputy Government Chief Whip, Brendan Griffin, has received confirmation from the HSE that the new General Practitioner for Milltown will begin work on September 1st. In correspondence sent to Deputy Griffin today, the HSE said that it has supported the Milltown GP Service for the last 20 months since the retirement of the previous GP and will continue to fund a locum service until September 1st. Deputy Griffin said that confirmation of the commencement of the new GP is great news for Milltown and the surrounding areas. He thanked local stakeholders and staff within the health services for working closely with him on the issue and wished the new GP the best for the time ahead. Deputy Griffin said that he gave a firm commitment to the people of the locality to do his best to solve the problem when plans to close the Milltown GP service were announced in late 2019 and is now glad to have helped deliver on the issue. Further information from Brendan on 0858892939

Follow me!

Previous article

Fine Gael TD Brendan Griffin urges students to apply for SUSI grants for the 2020/2021 academic year Fine Gael TD, Brendan Griffin has today urged students who have not yet applied for SUSI grants for the 2020/2021 academic year to do so before July 9th. Deputy Griffin has reassured students that the grant scheme is flexible and can address loss of income as a result of Covid-19. “Students and their families who have experienced a fall in income can seek to have their application reviewed under the change of circumstances provision within the scheme, provided they can demonstrate that any change in income is ‘likely to obtain for the duration of the approved course or for the foreseeable future’. “Fine Gael is committed to building an inclusive higher education system and SUSI grants are an excellent resource for eligible students to avail of. “Covid-19 has caused significant disruption across the country and students have had to deal with the closure of colleges and a disruption to their studies. “We are conscious this pandemic has also resulted in a loss of income for many families and created a time of financial worry in many households. I want to assure people that there is scope to address loss of income as part of the grant scheme,” Deputy Griffin concluded. As of Friday 3 July, SUSI received over 77,000 applications. Of these 77,000 applications over 38,000 were from renewal applicants and over 39,000 were from new applicants. Our latest figures show that over 46,000 students have now been awarded funding for academic year 20-21. Of these 46,000 students, 13,000 are new applicants. Minister for Further and Higher Education Simon Harris said: “I am conscious there are families that may not have qualified for SUSI grants previously could qualify this year due to Covid-19. “The deadline for priority applications is later this week and I would really encourage people to get the applications in. “SUSI grants are designed to help students and their families with the cost of returning to college. But we know fewer people are qualifying for them due to an improved economy. Student supports and how we help families will be a priority for me going forward.” ENDS For further information please contact Brendan on 087-2549116