Fine Gael TD Brendan Griffin urges students to apply for SUSI grants for the 2020/2021 academic year Fine Gael TD, Brendan Griffin has today urged students who have not yet applied for SUSI grants for the 2020/2021 academic year to do so before July 9th. Deputy Griffin has reassured students that the grant scheme is flexible and can address loss of income as a result of Covid-19. “Students and their families who have experienced a fall in income can seek to have their application reviewed under the change of circumstances provision within the scheme, provided they can demonstrate that any change in income is ‘likely to obtain for the duration of the approved course or for the foreseeable future’. “Fine Gael is committed to building an inclusive higher education system and SUSI grants are an excellent resource for eligible students to avail of. “Covid-19 has caused significant disruption across the country and students have had to deal with the closure of colleges and a disruption to their studies. “We are conscious this pandemic has also resulted in a loss of income for many families and created a time of financial worry in many households. I want to assure people that there is scope to address loss of income as part of the grant scheme,” Deputy Griffin concluded. As of Friday 3 July, SUSI received over 77,000 applications. Of these 77,000 applications over 38,000 were from renewal applicants and over 39,000 were from new applicants. Our latest figures show that over 46,000 students have now been awarded funding for academic year 20-21. Of these 46,000 students, 13,000 are new applicants. Minister for Further and Higher Education Simon Harris said: “I am conscious there are families that may not have qualified for SUSI grants previously could qualify this year due to Covid-19. “The deadline for priority applications is later this week and I would really encourage people to get the applications in. “SUSI grants are designed to help students and their families with the cost of returning to college. But we know fewer people are qualifying for them due to an improved economy. Student supports and how we help families will be a priority for me going forward.” ENDS For further information please contact Brendan on 087-2549116

Follow me!

Previous article

€1,535,192 for businesses in Kerry from the Government’s Restart Grant – Griffin A total of €1,535,192 has been approved and paid out to Kerry businesses under the Government’s Restart Grant to aid reopening after COVID-19, Deputy Brendan Griffin has said. Deputy Griffin said, “The Government’s Restart Grant involves direct grant aid to micro and small businesses of between €2,000 and €10,000, to help with the costs associated with reopening and re-employing workers following COVID-19 closures. “Business owners and their staff have been through incredibly difficult times recently and it is so welcome that the Government is doing everything possible to support them to open up again. “This work was begun by Fine Gael in the last government and it is welcome that the new Government is prioritising the recovery from the economic shock of Covid-19. They are working to repair the damage that has been done, and restore confidence and prosperity. Small businesses will play a huge role in that as they are the lifeblood of the local economy. “The latest figures from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, now headed up by Tánaiste Leo Varadkar, show that €1,535,192 has been approved and paid to businesses in Kerry since the Restart Grant was formed. “These targeted supports that have been developed by the Department in collaboration with Enterprise Ireland and the Local Enterprise Offices, will be available to companies of including micro enterprises, SMEs, and sectors most exposed with a focus on food, manufacturing and internationally traded services including exporters and importers. “This is in addition to a range of other supports for businesses to help them through the pandemic. The July Jobs Initiative, which will be announced in the coming weeks, will help to bolster our economy and get people back to work as quickly as possible. It will enhance and add to the existing measures totalling €12 billion in supports for Covid-19 impacted businesses already announced. For example this week Tánaiste Leo Varadkar announced that 183 retailers have been approved for €6.5 million in funding as part of the Online Retail Scheme, which is targeted at online retailers to strengthen their online offering and enable them to reach a wider customer base. “Other measures include the Wage Subsidy Scheme (TWSS), liquidity supports such as 0% finance for 6 months from MicroFinance Ireland, rates waivers from local authorities and the warehousing of tax liabilities of SMEs by Revenue. “The Restart Grant is being rolled out through the Local Authorities across the country so Kerry County Council has a crucial role here. “Impacted firms that are in rateable premises can apply to Kerry County Council for grant support of between €2,000 and a maximum of €10,000 equivalent to their rates bill of 2019. “The application form for the Restart Grant is available on the Council’s website. I encourage all micro and small business owners in Kerry to take a look at the website and apply for the grant to help them get back on their feet after COVID-19.” ENDS For further information please contact Brendan on 087-2549116