€40 MILLION Sports Capital Programme Opens
Funding Opportunity for Facilities for Sporting Organisations in Kerry
Statement by Brendan Griffin TD (FG) KERRY
Tuesday, 10 March 2015
KERRY Fine Gael TD and Chairperson of the Fine Gael’s Internal Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport, Brendan Griffin, has today (Tuesday) welcomed the opening of the 2015 round of the Sports Capital Programme.
€40 million funding is available nationwide under this new round, the third round of Sports Capital funding that has been made available under this Government. The Programme is open from today and is aimed at essential works on pitches and facilities such as clubhouses and dressing rooms. It will also provide for the purchase of new equipment.
Deputy Griffin said:
“I am delighted that the programme is now open and that the €40 million fund is higher than the €29.1 million fund that was originally anticipated.
“The last two rounds of funding in 2012 and 2014 have benefitted many Kerry clubs and organisations and I know from contact from sports clubs that there will be great interest in this latest round.
“I strongly encourage all those who are interested to ensure that they are registered on the online system before 5pm on Friday, 10th April 2015 (if not already registered) and to get their applications in online at www.sportscapitalprogramme.ie before 5pm on Friday, 24th April 2015.”
The programme funds:
· Natural grass sports pitches, tracks and courts (including pitch drainage)
· Artificial sports pitches, tracks, courts and multi-use games areas
· Security fencing, ball stop netting and goal posts
· Hurling walls / handball alleys
· Building or refurbishment of dressing rooms, showers and toilets
· Building or refurbishment of sports halls and gyms
· Non-personal sports equipment including lawn mowers and defibrillators.
· Any other capital projects that are clearly sporting in nature and that will increase participation in sport or improve performance.